It’s time I hold my hands up and admit I’m a bad adult. Sometimes, well okay, most of the time I feel like I’m just winging my way through my adult life. With the amount of slip ups I make every single month I could write a monthly write up, which is exactly what I’m doing. So, go ahead and grab a cuppa and prepare to feel better about yourself as I talk you through the stupid stuff I did in January 2019…
Microwave + Foil = Fire
My obsession with Nutella is getting a dangerous. I could deal with it hurting my gums when I ate too much from the jar, but setting my microwave on fire? No Sarah, I think it’s time you reevaluate your addiction. I would say my daily routine involves me eating way too many tablespoons of Nutella straight from the jar. That’s right, it’s beyond slices of toast, or whatever normal people spread Nutella on.
Well, my cravings kicked in and the spread was rock solid in the jar, which meant I couldn’t scoop it out. Stressing out, I took to Instagram where a few people told me to pop it into the microwave. In a bid to make it gooey and without even thinking I just popped it in the microwave and hit start. A couple of seconds in and the microwave started sparking and there was black smoke – I’d only went and left the bloody foil on! Although the microwave has seen better days and the rim of the jar was burnt, the Nutella tasted absolutely fantastic.
Lesson learnt: Never put tinfoil in the microwave… and maybe stop buying Nutella.
Gurl, Grill Up
I think I’ve come to the conclusion that appliances and I aren’t friends. I could blame the early start – I got up at 5am when this happened – but these things happen to me all of the time. So, I woke up and went downstairs to make my breakfast, which was a turkey bacon sandwich. I placed the turkey bacon on to a tray and popped it in the grill, nothing out of the ordinary, and waited while sipping on my tea. After scrolling through Instagram for 15 mins I realised that my turkey bacon wasn’t ready, and that’s because I’d switched the oven on and not the grill. You want to know what the worst part was? I thought I’d switched on the grill only to find another 15 mins later that I’d still left the oven on. A definite facepalm moment.
Lesson learnt: Have a coffee before working appliances.
Pick A Policy
There’s a reason I leave car shopping up to Corey and that’s because I have no idea what I’m looking at and my latest ALMOST purchase proved it. Over the last few weeks I’ve been searching for a bigger car and I thought I’d found the perfect one, but there was something seriously wrong with it. The car was in fact a van. A van. To give myself some credit, it did look like a car, but it wasn’t until I rang my insurance company that I found out it was a modified van and it was going to cost me four times as much to be insured on. Safe to say I didn’t end up buying the ‘car’.
Lesson learnt: Leave car shopping to Corey.
Did I mention I’m an idiot? Have you ever wondered what would happen if something horrible happened, only to find that it will actually happen to you a few days later? Did you follow that? If you did, that’s exactly what happened to me. I got all the way to work and realised I forgot my laptop – facepalm. How stupid could I be? The worst part, it was a two-hour round trip to get it and get back to work because there was multiple accidents on the A19. Worse start to the day ever, but you betcha I won’t ever forget my laptop again.
Lesson learnt: Always double check your bags.
Let There Be Light
This typically isn’t a adult fail, but it kind of is. The 25th January 2019 was the first time I’d ever changed a light bulb. That’s right, it’s taken me 27 years to actually change a light bulb. Is that bad? I guess it’s way overdue, but I’m short so I always ask a tall person to change it.
Lesson learnt: Don’t be scared to try something new.
Have you made any adult fails recently?
Sarah Jayne x
Want more opinion pieces, rants and ramblings? Check out my #GirlTalk section here.