Beauty | 5 Products That Just Aren’t ‘Me’

Beauty | 5 Products That Just Aren’t ‘Me’

IMG_3094-2

IMG_3095

IMG_3097

IMG_3096

I’m sure you beauty enthusiasts understand that some products you love and others you just don’t. No matter how many positive reviews you’ve read, or hype a product has, sometimes you just have to told up your hands and say “this product is just not me.”

Below are five products that I’ve tried and that’ve failed. As I was writing this post I decided I’m going to make one last effort to give these products a go, apart from the hair dye, in the next few weeks, so make sure you watch out to see how they went!

Fake Tan // Who doesn’t love having a summer glow all year long? I would love to have a tan, but sadly my ginger genes just won’t allow it, and since I’m naturally whiter than white I don’t suit false tan at all. Trust me I’ve tried. I once used a full bottle of Fake Bake spray tan to cover every inch of my whiteness and I loved it. I felt so confident and sexy, and then I looked at the photos the next day and I was as orange as a pumpkin. I’ve tried instant, gradual and even a professional spray tan and I just look wrong with a tan, maybe it clashes with my hair? Does anyone else have this problem? Any false tan recommendations I should try?

Face Primer // I’m still 50/50 on whether I should give this a product a try. I’ve read so many blogs ranting that a primer is in their top five products, but I don’t get it. I thought moisturiser was kind of a primer? What are your thoughts? Am I missing out?

Hair Dye // Dying my hair is just something that has never crossed my mind. To be honest even if I wanted to, nothing covers ginger hair and even if it does, it’s not for long. While I am a little envious that some of you can randomly transform your hair with pastel colours, or dip-dye, I guess for it me it means I never have to worry about my roots or how long it’s going to take in the hairdressers.

False Eyelashes // I’m lucky to have been blessed with naturally long lashes, so I can get away with out wearing false ones. However, I see girls wearing them and I think they just finish an eye-look off perfectly. I keep meaning to try them out, but I’m terrified of sticking the glue to my lashes and then ripping them out. Any anyone suggest a pair I should try? Or, have you got a ‘how to’ guide?

Bronzer // I think this goes back to the whole ‘I don’t suit being tanned’ issue. I have friends who absolutely love bronzer, like it’s their staple piece of make up. I use bronzer to contour, but that’s about it. I mean, how do you apply bronzer? Would I only use it when wearing false tan?

Is there any beauty products that you just aren’t you? Can you suggest any products above that I should give a go? Let me know your thoughts!

Sarah Jayne x

9 Comments

1. hannah
    September 20, 2015 / 1:01 pm

I am exactly the same as you with regards to primer, i am keen to try a good one but idk whether it will be worth it!

• September 21, 2015 / 9:57 pm

I know what you mean Hannah. Plus, I haven’t found a cheap decent high street brand one to try first to test it out. Do you know of one?

Sarah Jayne xx

2. September 21, 2015 / 6:10 am

I have only tried fake tanning once. I went for a spray tan at the Mal before our holiday in Greece a few years ago and I really loved the result, it was nice not to be the palest person on the beach for once. I was the only person though who went on holiday brown and then got progressively whiter as the holiday went on! I don’t think I’d ever try DIY though, as you say it’s hard to get it to look right when you’re ginger.

I went through a phase of colouring my hair when I was younger (during my “I hate being ginger” phase. It was jet black at one point and it was pretty hard to maintain, when the ginger roots came through it looked awful. Now I just embrace my natural colour, I’ve come to realise that every girl wants this colour but they can’t get it from a bottle :p

x

• September 21, 2015 / 10:01 pm

Hahahaha that’s a good way to look at it ;) OMG I can’t picture you with black hair!
      I’ve had my fair share of false tan disasters! I think it’s a really hard thing to get right, especially having such light skin and golden hair. Glad I’m not the only ginger out there that suffers!

Sarah Jayne xx

3. September 21, 2015 / 10:10 pm

I have just discovered your blog & loving this post. I am definitely not a big self-tanning girl either haha. I just can’t do it. I tried ONCE. Lovely orange patches put me off for good lol.
    I do, however, get my hair coloured :) However, it wasn’t a dramatic change for me to go from darker blonde/light brown to golden blonde.
    p.s. I will NEVER EVER use an eyelash curler! Too scary looking thing + just like you, lucky to have my own long & curly ones :)
    p.p.s. Will follow your updates on Bloglovin’, girlie. I am also there if you would like to keep in touch:
    xox Nadia

• September 23, 2015 / 10:19 pm

Thank you so much for the lovely comments and I’m following you back on Bloglovin!
      I think for me with false tan I can never get the correct shade that actually makes it look good, it’s always too orange or too brown, never in-between! I know what you mean about eyelash curlers, I have a gorgeous set my grandma bought me, but I’m always a little nervous I’ll trap my eyelid in there!
      Sarah Jayne xx